Spring 2018 Readings
- The launch of Love Lough Beg for World Wetlands Day, Friday 2 February, at 2:00pm in the Crescent Arts Centre, Belfast. Thanks to Maria McManus for her kind invitation.
- International Women’s Day Reading, with the Burnavon Writers’ Group, and Kate and Joan Newmann, at 2pm on Thursday, 8 March at The Hub, Cookstown. Thanks to Maura Johnston for her kind invitation.
William Carleton Summer School, 15 September 2017
Landing places, Crescent Arts Centre, 29 July 2017
I was honoured to take part in this event, with Iseult and Cian McGrory, Heather Newcombe, Jamie & Gary, Kathleen McCracken and Olive Broderick, Chris and Doris, Brigid O’Neill, Stephen James Smith, Paul Maddern and Moyra Donaldson, Dermot Hickson, Kate Newmann, Joan Newman, Maggie Croninand Wendy Jack.
Chris and Doris Murphy made it imperative.
Me, (reading), with Heather Newcombe (seated). Photo courtesy of Maria McManus.
Doris and Maria
Oragami whooper swan, among other table decorations: artistry of Aisling Cowan.
Women Aloud & The Belfast Book Festival 2017
I took part in the Women Aloud NI Readathon on 17 June 2017 at the Crescent Arts Centre, Belfast. So many wonderful writers and a great way to spend the last afternoon of the festival.
I read “The Opposite Birds”, which, I can now announce (you heard it first here!), is forthcoming in Poetry Ireland Review (122). I’m particularly delighted about this publication as it was chosen by PIR’s current editor, the august Eavan Boland.
With thanks to Anne McMaster for the photo.
Lunar Poetry Podcasting
Among the poems I read were:
- The Road Back – previously published in Cyphers (81)
- 3 Letterboy Road – previously published in The Interpreter’s House (63)
- Feral – previously published in The Spark (30)
- The Opposite Birds – since published in Poetry Ireland Review (122)
Anne also discussed Women Aloud and its explosive impact on the visibility of female writers in Northern Ireland.
Click HERE for the full podcast.
It was lovely to meet David Turner and Lizzie Turner (née Palmer) of Lunar Poetry, who, granted by the Arts Council of England, and following the successes of both Lunar Poetry and Woman Aloud NI in the Saboteur Awards (Women Aloud won the Best WildCard, for which Lunar Poetry Podcasts was also shortlisted), travelled to Belfast to do the recordings for the readings and interview.
As always when it comes to Women Aloud, thanks to the indefatigable Jane Talbot for this showcase.
Arlen House Booklaunches
On Friday 19 May 2017, at the Linenhall Library, Belfast, I was one of the poets reading at the double booklaunch by Arlen House of:
- Washing Windows? Irish Women Write Poetry (ed. Alan Hayes);
- Eavan Boland: Inside History (ed. Nessa O’Mahony and Siobhán Campbell).
The event celebrated the 40th anniversary of Arlen House, Ireland’s chief feminist press, and Eavan Boland’s profound influence – as poet, and as critical voice; as well as the work of 100 female Irish poets.
It was a great afternoon with a capacity crowd.
Photos by myself and Maura Johnston
AE Open Mic
- Poetry reading to mark the 150th anniversary of George Russell‘s (AE) birth in the Beehive Bar, Lurgan, the building where George Russell (AE) was born. Local poet Martelle McPartland hosted this event, 10 April 2017.
Me doing some serious reading at the event! Photo by Martelle McPartland.
- Science meets Poetry III Conference 2012, European Science Open Forum, Trinity College, Dublin, 14 July 2012.
- Launch of Quatre poètes irlandais, Irish Cultural Centre, Paris, France, 16 July 2011
- Launch of Tribe (2008): Regional Cultural Centre, Letterkenny, 3 October 2008; Bluestacks Festival 5 October 2008; Damer Hall, St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 4 November 2008.
- William Carleton Summer School, Clogher, Co Tyrone, 8 August 2006 & 9 August 2007.
- Out to Lunch Reading, Irish Writers’ Centre, Dublin, 8 December 2006
- Summer Palace Press reading at The Troubadour, Earl’s Court, London, 6 February 2006
- Centenary Patrick Kavanagh Festival, Inniskeen, Co Monaghan, 27 Nov 2004
- Bluestacks Festival, Co Donegal, 4 October 2003
- Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Poetry Now Festival, 23 March 2003
- Belfast Festival at Queen’s, 9 Nov 2002
- Derry launch of Breaking the Skin, Verbal Arts Centre, Derry 25 Oct 2002
- The Gathering Festival, Verbal Arts Centre, Derry, 7 Oct 2002
- Launch of Black Wolf on a White Plain (2001): Scríobh Festival Sligo; Ardhowen Centre, Enniskillen; Verbal Arts Centre, Derry
- Launch of Beyond the Rubicon (1999): Arts Centre Letterkenny; Verbal Arts Centre, Letterkenny; Irish Writers’ Centre Dublin; Creative Writers Network, Belfast